GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Although the Michigan Department of Transportation will suspend most of its projects for Memorial Day weekend, many of the projects in West Michigan will remain in place.
MDOT is suspending work and lifting traffic restrictions on 104 of its current 165 projects. Projects will be suspended from 3 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Tuesday.
“As life continues to get back to normal as normal can be coming out of the pandemic, it’s clear folks are going to be doing a lot of traveling this holiday weekend and into the summer,” MDOT Director Paul Ajegba said in a press release.
AAA estimates that 1.1 million Michigan residents will drive 50 miles or more during the holiday weekend, a 7.9% increase from last year.
“We implore all drivers to slow down, stay alert and avoid distractions in all work zones. While you’re depending on us to fix the roads, road workers are trusting you with their lives. Let’s make sure everyone makes it home each and every night,” Ajegba said in the release.
One major project in West Michigan that will be suspended is the lane closures along US-31 in Grand Haven between Jackson and 3rd streets.
Here are the major projects in West Michigan that will not be suspended for the holiday weekend:
- I-96, Kent County, has one westbound lane open with a traffic shift between Whitneyville Avenue and 36th Street. The following ramps will be closed:
- The eastbound I-96 ramp to westbound M-6,
- The eastbound M-6 ramp to eastbound I-96
- The 36th Street entrance ramp to eastbound I-96.
- I-96, Kent County, has the eastbound ramp to southbound US-131 closed with a posted detour. The M-37 (Alpine Avenue) ramp to southbound US-131 is also closed.
- I-96, Muskegon County, has one lane open in each direction at Hile Road near US-31.
- I-96, Muskegon County, has one lane open in each direction over Norris Creek near Fruitport.
- I-196, Kent County, has westbound lanes shifted at the I-196 Business Loop (Chicago Drive) interchange in Grandville. The eastbound I-196 exit ramp to Chicago Drive is closed, and the Chicago Drive entrance ramp to westbound I-196 is closed.
- I-196, Ottawa County, has a traffic shift with two westbound lanes open and one eastbound lane open between Hudsonville and Zeeland.
- M-179 (129th Avenue), Allegan County, has the entrance ramp to southbound US-131 closed.
- US-31, Allegan County, has the northbound lanes closed at I-196 with traffic detoured to M-40. The southbound US-31 exit ramp to Washington Avenue/Blue Star Highway is closed.
- I-69, Calhoun County, has one lane open in each direction from I-94 to M-78.
- I-69, Calhoun County, has one lane open in each direction between M-60 and Marshall Drive.
- I-94, Berrien County, has two lanes open in each direction with a traffic shift from I-196 to Britain Avenue. The southbound I-196 ramp to eastbound I-94 is closed and detoured.
- I-94, Kalamazoo County, has ramp closures at Portage Road; Portage Road has one lane open in each direction with no left turns at Kilgore Road.